Developments in the E-Bike Space
The road ahead is looking good for electric motorcycles. They’re still largely a somewhat new concept despite the beginning of their mass production more than a decade ago. With high-tech safety features, more appealing design options and a refreshing crack at clean, efficient driving, their popularity is growing around the country. Enticements wooing consumers into the market in recent years include generous federal and state incentives, longer ranges, more (and much improved) charging stations, and greater affordability.
Tips for Considering an EV Motorcycle
If you’ve turned your head a time or two when you’ve noticed one on the road, and if you are even thinking about considering an EV motorcycle, do your research and keep these tips in mind:
- Decide what you will use your motorcycle for, and choose the best one for your needs, whether it’s commuting to work, touring, adventure riding, etc.
- What range (the total distance your motorcycle can do on one charge) do you need? To make a good estimation, you should consider your daily mileage, weather, road conditions (city, rural or highway), and access to charging stations. Do your homework!
- How high-tech do you want to get? Advanced technology and connectivity now means more safety features (like radar, cameras, and sensors to track speed, direction and velocity of moving objects around your bike while driving). Connectivity means features like customized apps for your bike, GPS, and other downloadable features. Check out all the options before you buy.
- What is the battery life of an EV motorcycle? Batteries have improved immensely in recent years and no longer require winterizing or removing in cold weather, and you can save time and money on maintenance. A good battery should last the life of your bike.
- Be sure to choose a bike that has the correct dimensions.
Practical, Affordable EV Motorcycle Options
If you’d like to start with a practical, affordable EV motorbike, a few options to consider include:
- The Evoke Motorcycles product lineup, with the Urban S starting at 7,999
- The Zero FXS Street Bike was named an “incredible urban electric motorcycle,” starting at $9,295
- The Volcon Grunt dirt bike is packed with features, starting at $5,995
For an interesting ranking of the best electric motorcycles of 2021, check out this evaluation by Luxe Digital. (A great chance to daydream!)
Another “can’t miss” resource is this Hotcar.com feature that shares its list of the “10 Coolest Electric Motorcycles” for 2021. The article will provide a sense of the newest EV motorcycle styles.
Expect to see many more EV motorcycles on the road. Take your time to assess the many new models (and their mega options) in the market today.
Insure Your Electronic Motorcycle with Farm Bureau Insurance
If you make an investment in a motorcycle, you should make sure it is properly covered with a specialized motorcycle insurance policy. Colorado Farm Bureau Insurance offers a variety of insurance products for motorcycles, dirt bikes, and more. Contact a local Farm Bureau Insurance agent to find out more by using our Agent Finder.