silhouette of main fishing with mountains in the background


Farm Bureau Insurance® Frequently Asked Questions

With more than 60 years of providing property and auto insurance policies to our Colorado community, Farm Bureau Insurance® agents have been asked many insurance questions. To help uncomplicate the complicated world of insurance, we have provided answers to some of these questions.

Do I have to buy auto insurance?

Yes. All states have financial responsibility laws. This means that either you must purchase a minimum amount of liability insurance or prove that you have set aside enough money to pay for the damage you may cause in an accident.

How much will my insurance cost?

Premiums, or the amount you pay for insurance, can vary widely. The type of car you drive, your driving record, your age, your sex, where you live, and how much you drive usually affect the cost. Speak with a Farm Bureau Insurance® agent to get a no-obligation quote for Colorado car insurance.

Will my auto insurance be affected if I’m involved in an accident or get a ticket?

You may have to pay more for your auto insurance if you’re at fault in an accident, get a ticket for a serious traffic violation such as speeding, or file too many claims.

I have a homeowner’s policy. Is my home covered for damages caused by high winds or tornadoes?

Most homeowner’s policies cover damages to the dwellings caused by tornadoes or other wind damage. Our homeowner’s policy covers your dwelling and personal items inside the home. The homeowner policy also covers storage buildings and other outside structures on the insured premises including personal items inside the building. Be sure to speak with your Farm Bureau Insurance® agent to know what your specific policy covers.

Will the damages caused to my home by flood or rising water be covered under my homeowner policy?

Most homeowner and fire policies with extended coverage will not cover flood damages or claims resulting from rising water. Generally, you would need a flood insurance policy from the National Flood Insurance Plan to have protection for this type of loss.

If I do not have a mortgage on my home, why do I need homeowner’s insurance?

Homeowner’s insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it. So, even if you don’t owe money on your home, if you suffer loss, you will still be able to recoup the value of your home (as covered in your policy) and be able to repair or rebuild your home as needed. Homeowner’s insurance is a package policy. This means that it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people.

Why would I need life insurance?

In addition to protecting your family’s financial security after you die, life insurance may also be beneficial to you while you are still alive. Some life insurance policies are designed to let you use some of the money in your cash value account to pay expenses or to supplement your retirement income. Some life insurance policies also have tax advantages.

Can’t I just get health insurance through my work?

Yes, if you have a job that offers health insurance, you would probably benefit from getting your health insurance through group coverage at your place of employment. However, if you are a part-time worker, self-employed, a contractor, or between jobs, you probably do not have access to group coverage, so you might need individual health insurance coverage.

Also, group coverage may have limits and you might be interested in supplementing your current health insurance policy with cancer insurance, disability insurance, or a long-term care policy.

Get Your Colorado Insurance Questions Answered

If you have additional questions about the insurance policies we offer, our claims process, or our company’s involvement in your local community, contact a local Farm Bureau Insurance® agent today.